Thursday, June 4, 2009

cold tangerines.


about a year ago, i ventured to barnes and noble for one of those "i need some relaxation and inspiration" days. i grabbed some books off the shelves and made my way to a comfortable, over-stuffed chair near the cafe. i started reading shauna niequist's cold tangerines and by the third page, i had tears welling up in my eyes. shauna seemed to be verbalizing my thoughts into words on the page in front of me!
"i have always, essentially, been waiting. waiting to become something else, waiting to be that person i always thought i was on the verge of becoming, waiting for that life i thought i would have. in my head, i was always one step away...i don't want to wait anymore. i choose to believe that there is nothing more sacred or profound than this day. i choose to believe that there may be a thousand big moments embedded in this day, waiting to be discovered like tiny shards of gold."
throughout the past year, this book has encouraged me as i embarked on various adventures and experienced new events. after my time in mexico, my heart was churning inside me, struggling as i arrived back in the united states, yet wishing i was still in a small mayan hut in the yucatan. i could not find a way to express all my thoughts and instead, i was left feeling overwhelmed and alone. as i flew from mexico to detroit, i came across these words after shauna's time in africa...
i had to clear away space in my mind and my heart, spaces previously occupied by easy things -- groceries to buy, albums to download, people to call -- and replace them with the weight of africa [mexico], a heavy, dark thing to carry with me, something under which to labor, something under which to tremble."
so, if you happen to be reading this blog, this is my recommendation to you. pick up this book and start reading. i'm guessing you will be encouraged, challenged, inspired, and relaxed.
enjoy.

No comments: